Thursday, January 5, 2012

"I'll Build You a Rainbow" Mom

After first meeting David over twenty-two years ago, David tried to describe his mother.  He asked me if I had ever seen the Church video of "I'll Build You a Rainbow?"  Of course I had.  It was a story of an amazing mom who got sick and passed away.  
(I just re-watched this video on YouTube @ the following link.)
The story is about an eight year old boy named Jamie.  His mom called him Big J even though he wasn't very big.  She said he had a big heart.  Jamie said his mom was his best friend.  While other mom's were busy going to fashion shows and such, Jamie's mom was playing with him.  Jamie and the other neighborhood boys said she was the best football player on the whole block.  
After I told Dave that I had seen this video he said, "That is my mom."  I have heard many stories to backup that claim.  
What an honor it would be to hear that from your children! 
In one part of the video, Jamie's mom says, "Jamie, I'm going away and I won't be coming back.  I'm dying."  Then Jamie said, "But Mom, you just can't die.  Mom, you just can't."  His mom said to him, "It's okay.  There's no regrets.  Why, I've been with you more than most moms have been with their boys in a whole lifetime."  
That is how David remembers his mom growing up, whether it was playing catch, reading, singing, creating things together, or countless other activities.  
We will be forever grateful for all of your love and time, Mom.  Thank you for all the building we did together!  We love you, Mom!
LaLoni Maren Lewis Stott


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you reminded me of this story. I have always LOVED rainbows, but just in the past few months it has meant more to me. It's so ironic because just this past summer or fall I was outside playing with the family and I looked up and saw a rainbow. I remember thinking it was odd to have a rainbow then because there was no recent rain. Then the thought distinctly hit me that Heavenly Father "built" that rainbow just for me to tell me He loved me. Since that time, each time I have seen a rainbow I have felt Heavenly Father reaching out to me personally to tell me He loves me. It's neat to think that maybe Mom and others will send their love that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will never see rainbows the same way any more.
    Kim, that was so cool how you talked about that rainbow showing His love for you. I truly believe that He does this over and over. I have felt the same feeling about ancestors who have passed on.
    Thanks for your comment, Kim! It really got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Kim always loved rainbows. She got the Rainbow Care Bear I made her and she made a wooden rainbow. Rainbows always seems to fill all with love and good feelings.

    ReplyDelete