Sunday, January 8, 2012

Remembering and musing on song!

This is  Mom,

Thinking about things and remembering some of the wonders of my past, I thought about singing and humming. I did that very often as it was how I dealt with stress and frustration.

One of the times I remember singing and David asked me to stop. He didn’t like my singing. He was only little, around 2 if I remember. I laughed, Great a confidence builder!

I remember being called to lead Primary singing then shortly afterwards, the Sunday School. It was in Payson Utah a the white building with the basement Primary room. I was terrified, but it truly was a blessing to learn the wonderful songs of Primary and then the hymns. As President Packard says, memorize the hymns and they will be a great service to you. It is so true.

I remember so many times that when I finally listened to the words I was humming, it was of a hymn with exactly the words of comfort or instruction that I really needed at the time.

I remember singing, “There Is Beauty All Around”, when there was upsets and need for harmony. Remember how it got to be a pain to hear?

I remember the wonderful times we sang together. How I loved to hear you all sing. I still do. It is the joy of my life to hear and sing with you. I remember one time when I wanted to sing a trio with Juli and Kim and I just could not get the notes or parts right.

But we muddled through. I especially love singing Christmas songs. I could and do sing them all year round.

I will tell you a secret. I prayed to the Lord that He would bless me with the ability to sing, when I had become more like He wanted me to be. Sort of asking for my own reward for obedience. I had spent so many years in choirs, filling the seat hoping to learn and develop a talent I did not have. I could not and still can not tell if I am singing on the correct notes. I remember once riding from Lagoon with Lee and Mel I believe after a family reunion, singing and they commented on the variety of keys I sang in (for the same songs).

Family Home evenings when I could get you to sing, sitting often on the top of the couch back, were favorites for me and when ever we get together to hear you all sing. I dreamed of having a family recording group since you all sing so beautifully.

The two requirements I asked for in a husband, other than a Priesthood holder, was that he sing and have curly hair. Lee had both and I am grateful he passed the singing gift on, even if he was stingy with the curly hair.

I hope in this blog you all will read and write comments or blog entries that a prompted by each others’. It is truly a joy to see, feel and remember the times we have shared together.
Mom

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for making music such a special part of our lives, Mom!

    ReplyDelete